If you were negatively affected by the criminalization of cannabis, you can apply to have your license fee waived. Check if you’re eligible for a waiver before applying.
Proof of eligibility
If you take part in a local equity program, you can show you meet the equity criteria using an attestation on the fee waiver form.
If you are not part of a local equity program, you must submit documents to show your eligibility:
Cannabis conviction or arrest
You can show proof of conviction or arrest using one of the following:
- Copies of federal or state court records that show the outcome of the case
- Records showing dismissal or expungement
- Any other court or law enforcement record that show proof of conviction or arrest
You can show proof of income using any of the following:
- Individual federal tax returns, state tax returns, or W-2s
- At least two consecutive paystubs
- Proof of eligibility for a program that provides financial aid to adults without enough income or resources such as:
- Supplemental security income
- Social security disability
The records must show the owner’s name and be dated within two years of the date of the fee waiver request.
You can prove you lived in an area disproportionately impacted by cannabis criminalization using any two of the following:
- California Driver’s License or State Identification Card
- Property tax bill or payment, or evidence that the owner is exempt from property tax payment
- Signed rental agreement, or deed or title to residential property
- Copies of state or federal tax returns
- School records
- Banking or credit card records
- Voter registration
- Credit reports
- Utility, cable, or internet billing or payment records
The records must be dated between 1980 and 2016 and include:
- The owner’s name
- An address in the affected neighborhood
- Start your online license application
The Department of Cannabis Control has three licensing systems. Use the one that corresponds to the license type you’re applying for.
- Apply for a fee waiver
When you submit your application, select Yes that you are interested in applying for a fee waiver.
- Upload the fee waiver request form
Download the form. Complete the required fields to provide information about the business’s equity owners. Upload the completed form to your online application.
- Submit your application
- Complete the fee waiver request form
Download the form. Complete the required fields to provide information about the business’s equity owners.
- Include tax documentation in your email
Attach tax documentation in your email to the DCC verifying your gross revenue is under $5 million.
- Email the completed request form to the DCC
Download the form. Send your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 60 days before your license expired.
Email email@example.com if you have questions about the fee waiver program.
Form DCC-1601: Equity fee waiver request form
From DCC-1602: Equity fee waiver request – additional equity owners