Apply for a License

Bureau of Cannabis Control – Licensing Information

The Bureau of Cannabis Control (BCC) is the lead agency in developing regulations for medical and adult-use cannabis in California. BCC is responsible for licensing retailers, distributors, testing labs and microbusinesses. BCC is currently accepting licensing applications. New users will be required to register an account on the Bureau’s online self-service portal prior to applying for a license. The Bureau’s online licensing system and e-learning portal can be found in the links below.

Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch – Licensing Information

The Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch, a division of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH)is responsible for regulating the manufacturers of cannabis-infused edibles for both medical and nonmedical use. CDPH is currently accepting licensing applications. Interested parties can submit their temporary license application by email or mail to the Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch with a copy of their local authorization.

CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing – Licensing Information

CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing, a division of the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA), is responsible for licensing cultivators of medicinal and adult-use (recreational) cannabis and implementing a track-and-trace system to record the movement of cannabis through the distribution chain. CDFA is currently accepting temporary licensing applications. Their online licensing application system and training videos can be found in the links below.

Licensing Overview Presentations

Each of California’s three licensing authorities have prepared presentations relating to their recent regulations, which also includes complete overview on the licensing process in the links below. Those interested in preparing for the application process are also encouraged to read through each licensing authority’s proposed emergency regulations.