Apply for a License
Bureau of Cannabis Control – Licensing Information
The Bureau of Cannabis Control (Bureau) is the lead agency in regulating commercial cannabis licenses for medical and adult-use cannabis in California. The Bureau is responsible for licensing retailers, distributors, testing labs, microbusinesses, and temporary cannabis events. The Bureau is currently accepting licensing applications through its online licensing system. New users will be required to register an account prior to applying for a license. The Bureau’s online licensing system, fillable applications forms, and e-Learning portal can be found in the links provided below.
- Bureau of Cannabis Control – Online Licensing System
- Application Forms and Instructions for Completing an Application
- Video Tutorials/E-Learning Portal
- Additional Resources for Bureau Licensees
Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch – Licensing Information
The Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch, a division of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), is responsible for regulating the manufacturers of cannabis-infused edibles for both medical and nonmedical use. CDPH is currently accepting licensing applications.
Applications for annual licenses will be accepted through an online licensing system – the Manufactured Cannabis Licensing System (MCLS). This application will require information on the business, owners and financial interest holders, and operating premises, as well as descriptions of procedures for waste disposal, inventory and quality control, transportation and security. Businesses in operation under the Compassionate Use Act prior to September 1, 2016, will receive priority application review.
Applicants must be in compliance with city or county ordinances. During the application review process, CDPH will contact the city or county to verify the local authorization. If the applicant does not provide a copy of their local authorization, the local office will have 60 days to respond. If the applicant includes a copy of their local authorization with their application, the local office will have 10 days to respond.
- Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch – Licensing Page
- Annual License Application Checklist (PDF)
- Annual License Application – Guide to Required Documents (PDF)
- Tips and Walkthrough Videos for Navigating the Manufactured Cannabis Licensing System (MCLS)
- Manufactured Cannabis Licensing System (MCLS) – FAQs
- Additional Resources for Manufacturing Licensees
CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing – Licensing Information
CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing, a division of the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA), is responsible for licensing cultivators of medicinal and adult-use (recreational) cannabis and implementing a track-and-trace system to record the movement of cannabis through the distribution chain. CDFA is currently accepting licensing applications. Their online licensing application system, step-by-step training videos, and fillable application forms can be found in the links provided below.
- Annual License Application
- Step-by-Step Training Video – How to Fill Out an Application for an Annual State Cannabis Cultivation License
- (NEW!) Frequently Asked Questions About Provisional Cannabis Cultivation Licenses
- A Reference Guide for the Application Attachments (Leer en español)
- A Reference Guide for the Cultivation Plan (Leer en español)
- (NEW!) Annual Cultivation License Pest Management Fillable Form
- (NEW!) Annual Cultivation License Waste Management Fillable Form
- Criminal Conviction Disclosure Form
- FAQ: Who Is Considered an Owner?
- Annual Cultivation License Application: Section D Owner Form With Instructions