Cannabizfile is the Secretary of State’s online portal for all information relevant to cannabis-related business filings with the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State’s office is the first stop for those seeking to establish a cannabis-related business. The Secretary of State supports California businesses by registering business entities, including cannabis-related entities, and processing millions of filings and records requests each year.
The Secretary of State is accepting organization documents for cannabis-related business entities. Starting January 2018, the Secretary of State will accept filings for the newly created entity type, Cannabis Cooperative Association. Please be aware that filing organizational documents with the California Secretary of State alone does not provide a business with the necessary licenses to conduct commercial cannabis-related activities.
The information provided in the links below is meant to act as a guide for cannabis-related business entity filings with the Secretary of State and as a general tool to help you broadly assess other steps that may be required with other state and local agencies. Information relating to requirements with other local or state agencies is not exhaustive. Click here to access the Cannabizfile Online Portal.
- (NEW!) Registering Cannabis-Related Trademarks in California
- Register or Update Your Cannabis Business
- Search for Business Records
- Register a Trademark or Service Mark
- 10 Steps to Starting a Cannabis Business
- Cannabis Business Frequently Asked Questions
- Forms, Samples and Fees for Business Entities
- Forms and Fees for Trademarks