Motor Carrier Permits

What is a Motor Carrier Permit?

A Motor Carrier Permit (MCP) is a document issued by the DMV’s Registration Operations Division. The MCP is issued to the motor carrier as evidence the carrier has registered their CA# with the DMV, as required by CVC Section 34620.  Additionally, the MCP verifies the motor carrier has met all statutory requirements to commercially operate motor vehicles on California’s highways. The MCP contains information specific to the motor carrier (e.g., name, mailing address, CA#, and effective/expiration dates of the MCP). As it relates to cannabis, Motor Carrier Permits are required for distribution vehicles who transport goods for hire. 

For more information on MCPs, please see the links and information listed below.

Who needs an MCP?

  • Any person or business entity that is paid to transport property in their motor vehicle regardless of vehicle size, type, or weight. Entities that transport property for compensation are deemed a ‘For-Hire’ motor carrier.  (Example: If you are a courier service and your vehicle is a motorcycle, you are required to have an MCP.)
  • Generally, any person or business entity operating a commercial vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more, either for commercial or private use, hauling their own goods or property.  Entities operating such vehicles are deemed a ‘Private’ motor carrier.
  • Operators of any vehicle or a combination of vehicles transporting hazardous materials.
  • Operators of a combination of a motor truck and trailer, semitrailers, pole or pipe dollies, auxiliary dollies, and logging dollies, that exceeds forty feet in length when coupled together.  For the purpose of an MCP, a “trailer” excludes camp trailers, utility trailers, and trailer coaches.
  • Operators of any motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicle and trailer for which the operation requires a commercial driver license, except vehicle combinations including camp trailers, utility trailers, and trailer coaches.

How do I obtain an MCP?

To obtain an MCP the following must be provided to DMV:

  • A CA# issued by the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
  • A completed Application for Motor Carrier Permit – MC 706 M (PDF).
  • Proof of financial responsibility (MCP 65 M).
  • Proof of Workers’ Compensation insurance or signed exemption.
  • A valid Requester Code issued by the EPN if you employ drivers with a Commercial Class A, Commercial Class B, or Class C driver license with a hazardous materials or any other applicable endorsement required by CVC Section 15278.  If you have questions or need forms contact the EPN Unit at (916) 657-6346.
  • Payment of fees.