Whether consumers are using cannabis for medical reasons or purely for recreational purposes, it is important that they purchase their cannabis products from a licensed retailer. Buying cannabis products from licensed retailers provides consumers with peace of mind knowing that their products have been tested.
- Californians who consume unlicensed cannabis risk ingesting harmful chemicals including pesticides, fertilizers, and heavy metals simply because they are unable to distinguish between licensed and unlicensed retailers.
- While state and federal fair labor practices protect laborers in the legal market, workers at illegal cannabis operators may be subjected to wage theft, violence, and hazardous conditions.
- Communities with higher rates of illegal consumption tend to see higher rates of violent crime, endangering residents, families and businesses.
- Furthermore, these communities lose out on vital tax revenue to fund youth education prevention, early intervention and treatment, environmental programs, and public safety.
- Since illegal cannabis sales are untaxed, communities lose millions of yearly revenue that could be used to strengthen the economy and fund local programs.
- The unlicensed market has lower business costs which makes it difficult for legitimate growers and retailers to thrive in the industry and incentivizes further participation in the illegal market.
Why Real California Cannabis?
Real California Cannabis will equip consumers with the knowledge and tools to make informed purchasing decisions that safeguard their well-being and support our communities.
Campaign components include:
A widespread education and public persuasion campaign to teach Californians about the importance of purchasing exclusively from licensed retailers and the crucial differences between regulated and unregulated cannabis.
Tools and resources
A suite of new tools and resources so consumers can quickly find, identify, and verify licensed retailers.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive campaign updates and other important DCC information.