- Complete local permitting processes
Many cities and counties have rules and permitting for cannabis businesses. Some do not allow cannabis businesses. Make sure you set up your business in an area that allows commercial cannabis activity. Complete any permitting requirements your city or county requires before you apply for a state cannabis license.
- Learn the state regulations for cannabis businesses
The Department of Cannabis Control (DCC) has requirements for standard operating procedures, training employees and how facilities must be set up. Make sure you understand and can meet these rules.
- Gather your application information and documents
DCC has resources to help you create the documents you need during the license process. If you have questions about the requirements, email the DCC licensing team.
- Create a licensing system account
DCC has two licensing systems. Use the one that corresponds to the license type you’re applying for. Create an account in the system. Remember your username and password so you can log back in.
- Complete your application
Fill in the required fields in the licensing system and upload any needed documents. Make sure you disclose all your business’s owners and financial interest holders. The DCC licensing systems let you save your progress as you go, so you do not need to complete it all in one sitting. When you finish your application, sign and submit it.
- Pay your application fee and submit your application
When you finish your license application, the system will tell you how to pay your application fee. DCC cannot process your application until you pay your application fee.
- Answer any emails from the licensing team
If any parts of your application are not sufficient, the DCC licensing team will email you. They will tell you what you need to correct and give you a deadline to respond. Responding with complete information as quickly as you can helps DCC process your application in a timely manner.
- Pay your license fee
If your application is approved, you’ll receive an email with instructions about how to pay your license fee. You can pay your fee through the licensing system via bank account/check, money order or credit card. You can also pay in cash by setting up an appointment to visit our office in person. For security purposes, no cash payments can be accepted without an appointment. Your license will be issued once we receive your payment.
- Post your license
DCC licenses are good for one year. Once your license is issued, you can download your license certificate from the licensing system. Post your certificate in a visible place near the entrance of your business so visitors can see it.
How does DCC Review license applications?
The Department of Cannabis Control (DCC) reviews license applications in the order we receive them. The application review process takes time. The more complete your information, the faster the review process will be.
During the review process, DCC staff will:
- Check that your application is complete
- Contact the city or county where your business is located to confirm that you meet local requirements
- Review your business owners’ criminal history, if any
- Review the information you submitted to make sure your business meets the requirements
We will contact you if your application is incomplete. If we contact you:
- Stay in contact with us as you resolve the issue
- Provide what’s needed as soon as possible to reduce delays in issuing your license