Skip to content
Press Releases

Bureau of Cannabis Control Addresses Statutory Changes to Obtain Provisional Cannabis Licenses

Jul 3, 2019

SACRAMENTO – With the passage of Assembly Bill 97 and Senate Bill 97, the requirements to obtain a provisional commercial cannabis license in California have changed. An applicant is no longer required to hold or have held a temporary license to obtain a provisional license.

A provisional license may now be issued if an applicant has submitted a completed annual license application to the Bureau, including evidence that compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (Division 13 (commencing with Section 21000) of the Public Resources Code) and compliance with local ordinances enacted pursuant to Section 26200 are either completed or underway.

Please note that if you already have a pending annual license application with the Bureau, you do not need to submit a separate provisional license application. We will be reviewing the application to determine if the applicant may be issued a provisional license and will contact the applicant if additional information is required.

Applicants who wish to obtain a provisional license but have not yet submitted an annual license application may now do so by registering an account on the Bureau’s online self-service portal. The link to the Bureau’s Online Licensing System can be found here: For more information on how to fully utilize the online system, including instructions for completing and submitting an application, users can check out the website’s e-Learning portal located here:

Alternatively, applicants may also apply for a license by filling out the paper application forms listed on our website and submitting them by email, mail, or in person at one of our two office locations:

Office Headquarters: 2920, Kilgore Road, Rancho Cordova, CA 96570
North Coast Regional Office: 930 Sixth Street, Eureka, CA 95501

If you are contacted by the Bureau requesting additional information regarding your submitted application, please respond promptly so that processing of a provisional license is not delayed.