Proof of eligibility
If you take part in a local equity program, you can show you meet the equity criteria using an attestation on the Equity Fee Relief Request Form.
If you are not part of a local equity program, you must submit documents to show your eligibility:
Cannabis conviction or arrest
You can show proof of conviction or arrest using one of the following:
- Copies of federal or state court records that show the outcome of the case
- Records showing dismissal or expungement
- Any other court or law enforcement record that show proof of conviction or arrest
You can show proof of income for each earner in your household using any of the following:
- Individual federal tax returns, state tax returns, or W-2s
- At least two consecutive paystubs
- Proof of eligibility for a program that provides financial aid to adults without enough income or resources such as:
- Supplemental security income
- Social security disability
The records must show the individual’s name and be dated within two years of the date of the fee relief request.
Live in an Area with a Population Disproportionately Impacted by Past Criminal Justice Policies (Census Tract or Family Member Conviction or Arrest)
You can prove you lived in an area disproportionately impacted by cannabis criminalization using any two of the following:
- California Driver’s License or State Identification Card
- Property tax bill or payment, or evidence that the owner is exempt from property tax payment
- Signed rental agreement, or deed or title to residential property
- Copies of state or federal tax returns
- School records
- Banking or credit card records
- Voter registration
- Credit reports
- Utility, cable, or internet billing or payment records
- Vehicle titles or proof of vehicle registration
The records must be dated between 1980 and 2016 and include:
- The owner’s name
- An address in the affected neighborhood
- Start your online license application
The Department of Cannabis Control has three licensing systems. Use the one that corresponds to the license type you’re applying for.
- Apply for equity fee relief
When you submit your application, select Yes that you are interested in applying for a fee waiver or fee deferral(s).
- Upload the equity fee relief request form
Download the form. Complete the required fields to provide information about the business’s equity owners. Upload the completed form to your online application.
- Submit your application
- Complete the equity fee relief request form
Download the form. Complete the required fields to provide information about the business’s equity owners.
- Include tax documentation in your email
Attach tax documentation in your email to the DCC verifying your gross revenue is under $5 million.
- Email the completed request form(s) to the DCC
Send your completed equity fee relief request form to email@example.com at least 60 days before your license expired.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the equity fee relief program.
Form DCC-1601: Equity fee relief request form
Form DCC-1602: Equity fee relief request form – additional equity owners