Skip to content
2021 announcements

Disaster Relief for Cannabis Businesses Affected by Fires

California is in the thick of fire season. This year, wildfires have burned more than 1.9 million acres in California. More than 15,300 firefighters are on the frontlines of 16 major and five extended attack wildfires across California. The Caldor Fire is the 15th largest fire in California history and the Monument fire is the 20th largest.

We know these fires can wreak havoc on our community of licensed cannabis businesses. We want to ensure you are aware of the resources available to you in the event you face a fire-related emergency. We are here to help you navigate these challenging times. If you have questions or need help, email us at

Disaster Relief Program

The Department of Cannabis Control (DCC) has a disaster relief program for licensees affected by wildfires. This program allows you to:

  • Request temporary waiver of a regulation when you cannot meet the rule due to a declared disaster
  • Move cannabis goods to another location immediately to prevent loss, theft or degradation due to the disaster

Qualifying disasters have a State of Emergency declared by the Governor or a local emergency declared by the city or county.

To request disaster relief:

  • You can use form DCC-8101 to request disaster relief. If you prefer not to use this form, you can submit a detailed email describing your request.
  • Submit the form to

DCC reviews and responds to each request received. If we approve your request, there may be conditions, such as a specific timeframe for the relief.

Moving product due to immediate threat of a disaster

You don’t need to notify DCC prior to moving cannabis or cannabis product if you are facing an immediate threat. After you move your cannabis or cannabis product, you must meet the following requirements:

  • The cannabis and/or cannabis products must be moved to a secure location where access is restricted to the licensee and the licensee’s employees and contractors.
  • Within 24 hours of moving the cannabis, notify DCC that the cannabis has been moved. Do this by emailing
  • Upon request, you must allow DCC staff to access and inspect the location where the cannabis has been moved.
  • Within 14 days of moving the cannabis, notify DCC describing your request for regulatory relief using form DCC-8101. Email the completed form to